The Prison Rape Elimination Act is the first United States Federal Law passed dealing with sexual abuse of incarcerated persons. Besides adult prisons, it also covers all juvenile facilities “used for the custody or care of juvenile inmates”, which includes Arlington’s groups homes.
The Court Service Unit supports a Zero Tolerance Policy for any form of sexual abuse, sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. We screen adults and juveniles to ensure a safe environment for all. Any sexual activity between staff and juveniles, between volunteers or contract personnel and juveniles, regardless of consensual status, is prohibited and subject to administrative disciplinary action and/or criminal prosecution. We have specific procedures for reporting alleged sexual abuse or harassment.
- PREA Policy and Procedure Manual
- Information about the Prison Rape Elimination Act
- Memorandum of understanding between the court services unit in the Arlington County police
- Information about Doorways for Women and Families, Arlington’s partner for a victim advocacy and emotional support services for sexual abuse
- How to report sexual abuse or sexual harassment to a third-party
- PREA Annual Report, 2019.