The Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office issues marriage licenses. A couple may go to any circuit court in Virginia to obtain a marriage license. There are no residence requirements to obtain a marriage license in Virginia; however, the marriage must take place in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Same-sex marriages are legal in Virginia and the Clerk’s office is issuing marriage licenses to all couples. Watch video story.
New! Apply for Marriage License Online
To expedite the process, the marriage application can now be completed online. After submitting the application, the couple will have seven (7) days to appear at the Clerk’s office (1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201) to present photo identification, and pay for the marriage license. Call 703-228-7010 if you have any questions regarding this process.
Obtain a Marriage License
The Arlington Clerk’s Office prepares marriage licenses Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m. To obtain a marriage license, both parties must:
- Arrive in the office by 3:30 p.m. to allow sufficient time to complete the application and prepare the marriage license.
- Be at least 18 years old, or an emancipated minor with a certified copy of the emancipation order.
- Appear in person at the Clerk’s office to obtain a marriage license.
- Show valid photo identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or Military I.D.
The Court does not require blood tests or witnesses.
The marriage license must be used within 60 days of the issue date before it expires.
The license fee is $30. Pay by cash or credit card, MasterCard and Visa only. There is a 4% service charge of the total amount paid by credit card.
If you were previously married, you must present a certified copy of a court-issued Decree of Divorce to the Clerk’s Office before a marriage license will be issued. If the Decree is in a language other than English, you must present a certified document translation, signed and dated by a translator attesting to the document’s accuracy. After a finalized divorce, there is no waiting period to get remarried.
Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses
Certified copies of marriage licenses issued by the Arlington County Circuit Court can be obtained in person, or through the mail from the Clerk’s office. Certified copies are $2.50 each. In person requests can be made Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the Clerk’s office, located at 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201. In person copy requests can be paid by cash, credit, check or money order to “Clerk of the Circuit Court”. Requests for copies by mail must be sent to:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Attn: Marriage License
1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700
Arlington VA 22201
Requests for certified copies of a marriage license sent by mail must contain:
- Full name of both spouses
- Marriage date
- Marriage location
- $2.50 fee (per certified copy) by check or money order payable to “Clerk of the Circuit Court”. Please do not send cash through the mail.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
To expedite the processing of your mail request, please use our Arlington marriage license request form.
Who Can Perform Marriages
The clergy, minister or other person performing the marriage must be authorized by a Circuit Court of this Commonwealth to celebrate the rites of matrimony.
The clergy, minister or other person officiating at the marriage ceremony must complete and sign both forms of marriage license and forward both forms to the Clerk of the Court who issued the license within 5 days after the ceremony is performed.
A commemorative certificate of marriage may be prepared by the officiant and given to the newly wedded couple upon request.
Clergy, Minister & Celebrant Qualifications
Clergy or ministers requesting authorization to perform wedding ceremonies in Virginia may apply in-person at the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office, Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., with the following:
- Certificate of ordination
- Proof of regular communion
- Photo identification
- Payment of $31 by cash or credit card (MasterCard and Visa only; if you pay by credit card, you must also pay a 4 percent service charge of the total amount paid)
- Once a celebrant provides the appropriate documentation and payment to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, the celebrant receives a lifelong certification to perform marriage ceremonies anywhere in Virginia.
Individuals that wish to perform a one-time civil ceremony in Virginia must obtain prior court authorization. To apply through the Arlington Circuit Court, the individual must be a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church. Please see attached instructions for more information.
The following Civil celebrants are available to officiate marriage ceremonies Mon. – Fri. for a $50.00 cash fee. Please contact the celebrant directly with any questions regarding scheduling or availability.