Application Instructions and Information
Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the Circuit Court of the Virginia county or city where the applicant resides.
Effective July 1, 2017, Concealed Handgun Permit applications must be on the Virginia State Police’s CHP Application Form, SP-248, found on the Virginia State Police website.
- All applicants must present a valid form of government-issued photo identification. Mailed in renewal applications must include a photocopy of a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Further, if you currently possess a Virginia CHP, and have changed your residence, please submit the new Change of Address Form SP-248A to the Clerk’s office along with your valid permit and $10.00.
- All changes are made pursuant to Code of Virginia §§18.2-308.02,.06,.10,.11
To obtain a concealed handgun permit from the Arlington Circuit Court, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church; or a member of the U.S. military domiciled in Arlington County or City of Falls Church
- Complete the Application for Concealed Handgun Permit found on the Virginia State Police website
- Present one valid form of photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, by the U.S. Department of Defense, or U.S. State Department (passport).
- Pay $50 fee by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover only) check, or money order, payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. If you pay by credit card, there is a 4 percent service charge of the amount paid.
- Provide evidence of competence with a handgun (i.e., proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers). Further information as to proof of competence can be found on the Virginia State Police website.
In accordance with statutory changes enacted by the Virginia General Assembly, effective July 1, 2017:
All first time applications must be made in-person at the Clerk’s office, 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington, VA, 22201 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. A certificate or proof of handgun competency is also required.
Renewal applications may be submitted in person, or by mail to: Clerk of Circuit Court, 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201, and must include a copy of any prior permit issued by a Virginia court, and a copy of one of the valid forms of photo identification described above.
For more information on applying for a concealed handgun permit, please call the Clerk’s office at 703-228-7010. Please note, due to confidentiality, we cannot provide information on pending applications over the phone, or by e-mail.