Application Instructions and Information
Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the Circuit Court of the Virginia county or city where the applicant resides.
To obtain a concealed handgun permit from the Arlington Circuit Court, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church; or a member of the U.S. military domiciled in Arlington County or City of Falls Church
- Read the instructions and complete the Application for Concealed Handgun Permit found on the Virginia State Police website
- Pay a $50 fee by cash, credit card (MasterCard or Visa only) or check or money order, payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. If you pay by credit card, there is a 4 percent service charge of the amount paid.
- Provide evidence of competence with a handgun (i.e., proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers). Further information as to proof of competence can be found on the Virginia State Police website.
Applications and supporting documents can be filed in person at the Clerk’s office (Suite 6700) between 8am and 4pm, or mailed to “Clerk of the Arlington Circuit Court, 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201”
New applications: Require a copy of your certificate of handgun competency.
Renewal applications: Please include a copy of the prior permit issued by this court, or other Virginia court.
To apply for a permit, the applicant must provide the Clerk’s office with:
- One original signed and notarized application
- One copy of your proof or certificate of competency, if needed
- One self-addressed, stamped envelope
For more information on applying for a concealed handgun permit, please call the Clerk’s office at 703-228-7010. Please note, due to confidentiality, we cannot provide information on pending applications over the phone.