Application Instructions and Information
Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits (CHP) are issued by the Circuit Court of the Virginia county or city where the applicant resides.
Concealed Handgun Permit applications must be on the Virginia State Police’s CHP Application Form, SP-248, found on the Virginia State Police website.
- All applicants must present a valid form of government-issued photo identification. Mailed in renewal applications must include a photocopy of a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Further, if you currently possess a Virginia CHP, and have changed your residence, please submit the new Change of Address Form SP-248A to the Clerk’s office along with your valid permit and $10.00. Requests can be mailed to: 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington, VA, 22201.
- All changes are made pursuant to Code of Virginia §§18.2-308.02,.06,.10,.11
To obtain a concealed handgun permit from the Arlington Circuit Court, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church; or a member of the U.S. military domiciled in Arlington County or City of Falls Church
- Complete Application for Concealed Handgun Permit found on Virginia State Police website
- Present one valid form of photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, by the U.S. Department of Defense, or U.S. State Department (passport).
- Pay $50 fee by cash, credit card, check, or money order, payable to the Clerk of the Court
- Provide evidence of competence with a handgun in-person (i.e., proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers). Effective January 1, 2021, online course certificates will no longer qualify for showing proof of competence for the purposes of obtaining a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit. Further information as to proof of competence can be found on the Virginia State Police website.
For more information on applying for a concealed handgun permit, please call the Clerk’s office at 703-228-7010. Please note, due to confidentiality, the Clerk’s office does not provide information on pending applications over the phone or by e-mail.