Name Change

You must be at least 18 years old and a resident of Arlington or the City of Falls Church to legally change your name.

Adults:  Complete the Application for Change of Name — Adult – (Instructions) and Order for Name Change Adult

Minors:  Complete the Application for Change of Name — Minor – (Instructions) and Order for Name Change Minor

The filing fee is $44. Payments may be made by cash; by check or money order made payable to “Clerk of the Circuit Court”; or by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only; a service charge of 4 percent of the amount paid will be collected on credit card payments).

You must type your information into the name change application and order.

Complete the application, which must be notarized, and the order, leaving blank only where the Judge will date and sign the order.  For minors, both parents (or surviving parent) must sign and notarize the application.

If your application and order are incorrect or incomplete, the documents will be returned to you unprocessed.  Submit your application, application fee and order, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, to:

Arlington County Circuit Court
Attn: Civil Division
1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700
Arlington, VA 22201

The processing time is approximately three to four weeks.

For more information on name changes, contact the Circuit Court at 703-228-7010.