Marriage Information

Marriage Licenses

The Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office of any city or county in Virginia issues marriage licenses. Out-of-state residents can apply at any Clerk’s Office in Virginia.

  • Same-sex marriages are legal in Virginia and the Clerk’s office is issuing marriage licenses to all couples. Watch video story.

The Arlington Clerk’s Office prepares marriage licenses Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m. To obtain a marriage license, both parties must:

  • Arrive in the office by 3:30 p.m. to allow sufficient time for the office to prepare the marriage license.
  • Be at least 16 years old.  If either party is under 18 years old, that person must bring a parent or legal guardian to sign a consent form.
  • Appear in person to obtain a marriage license.
  • Show valid identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or Military I.D.

The Court does not require blood tests or witnesses

The marriage license must be used within 60 days of the issue date before it expires.

The license fee is $30.  Pay by cash or credit card, MasterCard and Visa only. There is a 4% service charge of the total amount paid by credit card.

If you were previously married, you must present a certified copy of a court-issued Decree of Divorce to the Clerk’s Office before a marriage license will be issued. If the Decree is in a language other than English, you must present a certified document translation, signed and dated by a translator attesting to the document’s accuracy. After a finalized divorce, there is no waiting period to get remarried.

Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses

You can obtain a certified copy of a marriage license, in person or by mail, from the Clerk of the Circuit Court only if the office originally issued the marriage license. When you make your request, you must include the following information:

  • Full name of both spouses
  • Marriage date
  • Marriage location
  • $2.50 fee (per certified copy) paid by cash; credit card (MasterCard and Visa only; 4 percent service charge of the total amount paid by credit card); or money order, certified check or in-state personal check payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Do not send cash through the mail.
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope

Who Can Perform Marriages

The clergy, minister or other person performing the marriage must be authorized by a Circuit Court of this Commonwealth to celebrate the rites of matrimony.

The clergy, minister or other person officiating at the marriage ceremony must complete and sign both forms of marriage license and forward both forms to the Clerk of the Court who issued the license within 5 days after the ceremony is performed.

A commemorative certificate of marriage may be prepared by the officiant and given to the newly wedded couple upon request.

Clergy, Minister & Celebrant Qualifications

Marriage celebrants must appear in person at the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office, Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., with the following:

  • Proof of an active congregation
  • Certificate of Ordination
  • Photo identification
  • Payment of $31 by cash or credit card (MasterCard and Visa only; if you pay by credit card, you must also pay a 4 percent service charge of the total amount paid.)
  • Once a celebrant provides the appropriate documentation and payment to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, the celebrant receives a lifelong certification to perform marriage ceremonies anywhere in Virginia.

Court-Provided Civil Celebrants

Court-provided celebrants officiate marriage ceremonies Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or at other times by appointment only. There is a $50 cash only fee for a Court-provided civil celebrant:

Carla F. Ward
2045 North 15th St., Suite 107
Arlington, VA 22201
Available weekdays. Also available evenings and weekends with advanced notice

Gerald Williams
2045 N. 15th Street, B-4
Arlington, VA 22201
Available weekdays.  Also available weekends with advanced notice.